Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Book Review

Rules of the Road is a heartwarming, quirky book with a great story.
Meet Jenna Boller, our main character. She's the best employee at Gladstone's Shoe Store, which has many branches across the United States. She's also the daughter of an alcoholic father. Her grandmother lives in a nursing home, battling Alzheimer's disease. Family problems are difficult for any teenager to handle, but Jenna feels like she has to fix her father and help her grandmother remember her old life. When Mrs. Gladstone, the aging CEO of Gladstone Shoe Stores, hires Jenna to be her driver for the summer, she is anxious for a break from all her problems. This starts a cross-country escapade where Jenna learns a lot about herself, driving and the meaning of life.
This paragraph above sounds like the back cover of a paperback book. I didn't intend for it to. But, really, you need to check out this novel. I laughed in some parts; others almost brought me to tears. Joan Bauer is exceptional at creating a wacky story with endearing characters. I loved this book. It is a short read. I finished it in two hours, and wished that the story could continue. After this post, I'm probably going to read it again. Please read it and comment here later. I would love to hear your thoughts and reactions to Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer.

9 comments:

MA said...

Good to have you online with us! I, too, am a snapdragon and avid reader. In fact, I am just now reading a book the Red Dirt gal recommended to me, about Sybil Bolton.

Hope to meet you someday soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Diva!! I will try to read this book! Your blog basically convinced me. You should try adverstising someday! You would be very good! Ha I'm hoing to comment on every single entry it will probably drive you crazy! I love you write more so I can keep up with your fabulous life!!

Jean Warner said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Diva. I've asked the Metripolitan Library to reserve the book and send it to Belle Isle Library for me. I'll report back when I've read it.

Turns out I'm a Canna. I think of them as weeds. Maybe it is time for me to reassess cannas!

The Diva Speaks said...

Ma- Thank you for stopping by. I'm glad we have both a passion for reading and snapdragons in common.
elizabeth- Hey, I'm glad I convinced you to read it. Love ya!
Jean- Wow! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Keep in mind that it is a really short read. Thank you for commenting!
- The Diva

Anonymous said...

Well, you are certainly, I can tell, a well-spoken young lady. (And that surprises me, given your age.) Either you come by it naturally or it is your sweet mother's genes at play here! Enjoyed your review. (Might want to consider a career book reviewing; you can sign up with publishers online to get free books sometimes to review.) I have bookmarked you and shall come back for another visit. I adore books!
Brenda

Anonymous said...

Diva,
I almost typed your "name that won't be printed" here. Since I have known you before your swimming picture on your mom's blog, I will have to try hard to call you by your blog author name. I love your blog, the shoes and you know I always love to hear what you are reading. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

diva,
sorry I clicked on the anonymous button accidently. Don't worry, it's just me.

The Diva said...

Miss Brenda- thank you for the career suggestion. I had never thought of that as an option before. I will definitely check it out.
Miss Aimee- thanks for stopping by and I know that it's you. I'm glad that you liked it. I am really enjoying it.
~ The Diva

CurtissAnn said...

Jotted the book in my notebook, to order soon. Thanks so much! Your reviews are awesome, and I know I can trust your good taste. :)
xxxooo