Monday, July 21, 2008

The Bookstore


After a dinner out, I convinced my parents to stop by our local bookstore. As mentioned in my earlier post, I love reading. You can imagine my delight as my family wandered into the store. This was the high point of my day. I'm serious.
I've been buying books at this particular store for almost my entire life and I almost never stray from it. Because when I do go into Barnes & Noble or Books-A-Million, I feel guilty.
Anyway, I managed to find two novels, which is really not very exceptional. I tend to leave the bookstore with five or six books. My mother never denied us books as children. I am very grateful to her for making sacrifices so we could get them when we were younger. Poor thing, she had no idea she was feeding an obsession.
I purchased Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer, which I finished this morning, and Love Starts with Elle by Rachel Hauck. The latter I picked up mostly because of the cover art. I'm a sucker for cool cover art. The former attracted me to it because I really love the author. Joan Bauer has impressed me with most of her books and I am always willing to spend my parents' good money to support a fabulous author.
Oh, I grabbed Barron's Pocket Guide to Vocabulary on my way out. I need to start studying for the SAT.
My next post will probably be a review of Rules of the Road, but I will really try not to give too much away. It was an awesome read, though. Okay, I need to stop now or I will start reviewing it. Stayed tuned.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll always feed this obsession. I love you.~~Mom

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Isn't it funny how we get comfortable going to the same bookstore. I am a B&N person myself. I think it has a lot to do with B&N being the first big bookstore that was built in our area. I do like to cruise the Borders and any second had shop I spot. One never knows where you will find a good read.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!
:) Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Your mother knows a thing or two about obsessions (I read her garden blog), and as obsessions go, book reading is one we dream our children will get addicted to. Your writing is engaging, and I can see that you have a strong voice just from these two posts. Congrats on starting your own blog. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time with it.

CurtissAnn said...

Yippeee! You are blogging! I'm so glad. Now I'm going to get some good tips for good books. :)

And your blog is visually beautiful, too-- a lovely book cover.

Hugs,
CurtissAnn

The Diva Speaks said...

Miss Lisa,
Personally, I think B&N is great when I'm looking for something specific. Our little bookstore is just where I've always gone.
Thanks for the comment!
~~ The Diva

The Diva Speaks said...

Miss Pam,
Wow! You're making me blush. The compliments are fabulous. Thank you for them and for stopping by. Yes, my mother is definitely obsessed, but I love her that way.
~~The Diva

The Diva Speaks said...

Hi Miss Curtiss Ann!
Thank you for coming to see my blog. I've put yours on my blog roll.
HUGS!
~~ The Diva

Anonymous said...

Reading and writing are both good habits to have. And they get better as you get older.

Have fun with your blog.

Cottage Rose said...

Hello and welcome to the wonderful world of blogging. It is a pleasure to meet you. You writing is some what like your Moms. I was just visiting her and read you had one. So here I am. I love B&N my Hubby and I try to go once a month. I have two book clubs so I like to feed my obsession too. I will be back for a visit.
Hugs;
alaura

Carol Michel said...

I'm excited to "meet" The Diva in the blogosphere, too. I'm also here by way of your mom's most excellent Red Dirt Ramblings blog and I'm glad she sent me.

Reading and writing are two obsessions that you can enjoy your entire life and never get bored!

Cindy, MCOK said...

Diva, so many books ... so little time! Since you love reading and writing, I'd suggest you check out Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. He is a master of wordplay and one of my daughter's all time favorite authors. THE EYRE AFFAIR is the first in the series. Have your mom read it, too!

I met your mom at the Garden Bloggers' Spring Fling and have been delighted to learn through our Plurking that she's a voracious reader, too. Be prepared for more book suggestions from me!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

It is very nice to meet you Diva. Your new blog looks very nice. I have been a reader of your moms since I started blogging. Glad the reading bug bit you.

The Diva Speaks said...

alaura- Thank you for the comment and I'm so pleased that my writing is somewhat like my mother's. That's a huge compliment. Thanks!
Carol- That is so true. Thank you for coming by.
Cindy- I love book suggestions and I will definitely try that series! Thank you! I look forward to more suggestions!
Debbi- It is very nice to meet you, too.
~~ The Diva

Anonymous said...

Hi, Diva, Dee's daughter! Welcome to the World of Blogging! You have all the right elements as you've described, so I'm sure you are gonna love it! This happened in my family, too. I started a blog last September and by December my daughter started one, too. She's really built up a fan base and I'm very proud of her. I know Dee is already proud of you. And you will be very proud of YOURSELF! Watch yourself (and your fanbase) grow and enjoy every minute! Bravo!
Kathryn xoxo

Bramblemoon Farm said...

Ah books, I too have this obsession as you'd be able to tell if you saw my book shelves and tubs with even more books in. I read them, love them, read the again and then can't give them away. It's a wonderful obsession to have and I'm tickled to see that someone else has it. I love your blog:)