Saturday, July 26, 2008

They're Taking Over the World!!!!

Am I the only teenage girl in the world who doesn't like the Jonas Brothers? I may be the only sane teenager alive right now. This obsession with this awful trio of brothers has gone on long enough.

Generally speaking, I do not feel the need to criticize celebrities because they often receive too much criticism. But, I feel that the Jonas Brothers need to be taken down a peg or two. So, that feeling warrants this rant, I mean... post.

Let's start with their music. I would have more respect for the Jonas Brothers as artists if they would write deeper or more original lyrics. Love, lost love, heartbreak, and angst are the only topics their songs cover. Really, there is more to life than teenage love. I'm very sure of this fact. Could they write a song that might change the world? Or just not cause my ears to bleed? Please, I'm begging them.

There are two kinds of music: money making music (MMM) and world changing music (WCM). Guess which kind the Jonas Brothers are producing. If you chose the former, you guessed right. Sometimes, WCM and MMM are one and the same. Often, they are not. MMM is uninspired, and usually unintelligent. WCM lasts forever and makes a statement. WCM is rare. For example, Beethoven and other classical composers produced WCM. Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" was pure genius. Bob Dylan's "Blowing in the Wind" was WCM. I'm not asking for the Jonas Brothers to try to live up to those musicians. I don't think they could do it, anyways. But, I am asking them to write something that might inspire their fans. In case they haven't realized it, they have influence over thousands of girls. Surely, they could use this power for the greater good. Disney didn't intend to change the music world, but they have. Screaming girls everywhere are demanding the Jonas Brothers' disgusting music, and they are getting exactly what they want.

For research purposes, I listened to "Burning Up", the smash hit by the Jonas Brothers. I wasn't impressed. From the first verse, I feel like this song has already been done before. And, it has. Teenage lust has been the muse of songwriters for years. But, most musicians have found a way to redo it and make it sound fresh. However, "Burning Up" sounds stale, and feels like old news.

Kudos to Disney for creating a band that is relatively safe for children to listen to. The Jonas Brothers' lyrics are one-dimensional, but clean. They may be using their good looks to sell their lackluster product. But, they are here to stay for a little while, at least. I guess I have to endure America's love affair with this bland boy band for some time to come.


Thanks for taking the time to read this rant. I made a conscious effort to be fair to the Jonas Brothers... Okay, I really didn't, but I feel better now. I'm not angry with them. I'm just sick of them.

6 comments:

CurtissAnn said...

Okay, confession. I was a very young girl when the Beatles rocketed to stardom. I sat in front of the tv and screamed, because all the 'big' kids were doing it. I grew up. I no longer screamed, but I pretended to like the Beatles, and I-Never-Did. There. I've said it.

Kudos for you for your rant. Insightful. You inspire me.

Oh, and I got that Joan Bauer? book today.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I was going to download some serious Jonas Brothers music on your ipod for passing your written driver's test today. Ummm, I guess I need another plan. LOL.~~Mom

Bigstreetrod said...

I think it's great to think on your own and not follow the crowd. Music is a lot like life, if it doen't feel good, don't do it, life's to short to waste you time.

I gave the Beatles and some other groups of the 60's a 10, they really changed music. I still listen to stations like JACK-FM. Sometimes I don't like the words but I'm almost 60 and have heard about everything, don't think they will change my life.

I think everyone should listen to what they like. Loved the rant.

Anonymous said...

Annie saw your post as I was reading it and immediately came running over...Speaking from a mom who sat through the Jo Bros concert, I can tell you the most interesting part was the stage crew. Oh well, young, young love.

The Diva Speaks said...

Miss Curtiss Ann, thank you for that confession. It made me laugh out loud. Enjoy the Joan Bauer book.
Mom- thank you for commenting and I'll pass on the JoBros music. Thanks anyway.
BigStreetRod- thanks for stopping by. I am inspired by your insightful comment.
Miss Aimee- Sorry that Annie had to see that. My temper may have gotten the better of me. Oh well...
~The Diva

Anonymous said...

what about BMM music megan.lol. that was a great article and i agree. u should right one about miley cyrus. -nene