Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Worthy of an Oscar Nod




Two nights ago, I saw The Dark Knight. The two most recent Batman movies are dark, really dark, and I think that this is how the creators at DC Comics intended the Batman series to be interpreted into film. But, what do I know?
The only thing certain is that Heath Ledger should get an Oscar for his portrayal of the Joker. He managed to play a slimeball, comedian, and psycho all at the same time. I certainly don't think Cary Grant could've done it. Of course, this is the kind of movie that Cary Grant would've passed on. Known for taking on risky characters, Heath tried this role on for size, and it fits. Believe me, this character was a dicey one. The writers had to draw a line between Jack Nicholson's clownish Joker and a villain that is too violent and creepy to be shown in a superhero movie. Heath toes the line with his Joker, a homicidal maniac with a twisted sense of humor.

Knowing that this character is imaginary and being played by an actor, I still wondered if maybe the Joker was real. Silly, I know, but if you watch the movie, you'll see what I mean. Heath was convincing.

Be ready for this film to shock you. I almost walked out of the theatre at one point, but couldn't. I had to know how it ended, and the conclusion also rattled me.
Is The Dark Knight worth the $7.50 I paid for my movie ticket? Yes. Does Heath Ledger's performance merit an Oscar? Again, yes. Am I looking forward to another Batman movie? I don't know. Can they top this one? Can the producers find another villain to equal or surpass the Joker Heath created? I really hope they can because it will give me an excuse to see Batman (my favorite superhero) fight the bad guys and save the citizens of Gotham City once more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Diva Dear. He did a fantastic job. You really captured his nuances.~~Dee

CurtissAnn said...

Your review is excellent. I can see the movie clearly-- and don't want to see. Thank you!

The Diva said...

I don't blame you, Miss Curtiss Ann. It is really intense.
~The Diva

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

I've got to see this in IMAX. I had a friend in school (about 20 years ago) who was a big fan of the Batman comics, no make that graphic stories. He explained to me how dark it was, totally unlike the old TV show. 'Batman Begins' really captured that feel, & it sounds like this one continues that aspect of a tourtured, flawed, conflicted hero. Besides, it was filmed in Chicago, so naturally I have to see it.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

My Dearly Beloved got to go see this movie while I was out of town. I didn't think I wanted to see it but after reading your review I might take it in during matinee time. I would like to see what all the hubub is about.